Wednesday, June 06, 2007

June 7 Update

Hello everyone,

I just arrived back from Onjuku. I stayed with Yasuda San for a couple of days. It was so much fun! Yasuda San and Jun Chan teached me how to surf. On the second day I made progress and found everything easier. Especially paddling! The first day my balance was at the back of the board! Needless to say I was very tired that day!

We also went golfing. Jun Chan played well and took Yasuda Sans and my money. We played a skins game. We played the Camel course. It was a fun challenging course. In 9 holes my best rounds were 43 twice, 48, and 50! I did not play my best golf but had too much fun, had great golf partners, and played a course that had a completely different view that I have ever played before.

Onjuku is such a nice area. I wish all of you best and hope you enjoy the time you spend there.

I have also heard many of you are doing more muscle training this year. Great! In surfing a little I found the paddling motion is very good for shoulder strengthening. Also good for strengthening your back. If you can keep your heart rate up it would also be good for endurance. It is very important to keep the stomach strong as well and keep body balance. So do those sit up and crunch work outs. Now strengthening our legs is the important area! Surfing does not really touch that part of the body so if possible include leg workouts into your day if you can. Legs are of course the main focus for ski racing!

The great thing about ski racing is that it is fun yes. The goals we set for it though pull us to a strong, healthy life style. My goal is that even in my older years I still have a strong, healthy, flexible, athletic body! And why not if I maintain my body through exercise and healthy thinking. Yes, our minds are part of it! Every morning see all the good things in your life and see what great things are to come!

Bye for now

Doug

No comments: